Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Well we did it. I decided that I wanted to cook Thanksgiving dinner for our family this year. We didn't have anyone over so there wasn't much pressure. Ross slept in until 8:30 that day, sheesh! So Dave and I got to enjoy two Thanksgiving Cosby episodes while eating breakfast together. Then Ross napped perfectly for the day and Dave took care of him while he was up (i.e. watched football together, ha ha just kidding) so I had the day to get things ready. I made the rolls and froze them on Tuesday. Made the pies on Wednesday then did the rest on Thursday.
I told Dave his only job was to carve the turkey. He looked up how to online and he did a great job. My mom told me that she got her 16 lb turkey for .77 cents per pound. Wow. I guess food really is more expensive here. I bought a 6.5 lb turkey for $4.69 per pound. It was a $30 turkey! Crazy. But it turned out good and we had plenty leftover.



Here it is. Of course my homemade stuffing didn't taste like Dave's Grandma's, but it was still pretty good. We almost had problems with the homemade gravy, meaning I put in a bit too much corn starch and it looked more like caramel, but we were able to salvage it and it tasted great.




And the pies. Man these were good. Ok I didn't eat the pumpkin but Dave said it was possibly the best pumpkin pie he's ever had. I did spill it a bit while getting it into the oven but oh well. The apple pie with the crisp topping was divine.



Throughout all the cooking, I only burnt one finger while handling the pumpkin pie spill so I was pretty proud. It was fun doing this though and I was grateful everything turned out. As always, the holiday was a great reminder of all the wonderful blessings that I have in my life.

4 comments:

Nicole A. said...

Great job!! That's awesome Shauna!! Dad asked me to make 2 pies for the family party and I was like, what??? I've never made a pie before! haha so I just ended up making a chocolate pudding one and banana cream. I think I was just too stressed with school right before the break so I freaked out. But yours looks amazing, you're just amazing!!

Pyper said...

That is soo awesome! Way to go on cooking it all by yourself! :) I don't know what I would do without my mom doing all the work, and just giving me something to bring! haha :)

{it all looks delish!}

Kari said...

Smart to split up the cooking like that, between days. Awesome Dave loved your pumpkin pie so much!!
Fun seeing your success!

Clint and Sheri said...

Nice! I know I will have to do it someday too! mmmmm I want both of those pies